NORTHERN CALIFORNIA CARPENTERS/ THOMAS A. MORTON MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP FOUNDATION
Dear Brothers & Sisters:
Please be advised that the Northern California Carpenters/Thomas A. Morton Memorial Scholarship Foundation is proud to announce that this year one hundred (100) scholarships will be made available to the sons and daughters of Carpenter members of the Local Unions in the 46 Northern California Counties. The first person chosen in the random drawing will be awarded $6,000.00 in honor of the Helen Morton Memorial Scholarship, with the other ninety-nine (99) winners being awarded $3,000.00. Eligible persons may receive one scholarship award every other year, with a maximum of two awards being given to any individual dependent of members in good standing of Local Unions throughout the 46 counties.
The selection process will be done by lottery so grade point averages will not be a factor. APPLICANTS MUST BE PLANNING TO ATTEND THE 2020-2022 (July 1, 2020 through June 30, 2021) COLLEGE YEAR OR CURRENTLY BE ENROLLED IN AN ACCREDITED EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION. Additionally, the applicant must currently be a dependent as described in the Application Guidelines (spouses are not eligible).
The scholarships will be awarded for the entire 46 Counties area under the direction of the Northern California Carpenters/Thomas A. Morton Memorial Scholarship Foundation. HOWEVER, YOU MUST CONTACT YOUR LOCAL UNION FOR THE ACTUAL APPLICATION.
The Northern California Carpenters/Thomas A. Morton Memorial Scholarship Foundation was founded in 1991 by the Executive Officers of the Carpenters 46 Northern California Counties Conference Board, based on the belief that charity should begin at home and that the principal benefit of Union membership is not only
to improve one's own lot in life, but also that of our children. With those thoughts in mind, government approvals were secured and trust accounts were established. Contributions from golf tournaments and the like have been accruing, and this year we are able to give our awards to one hundred (100) lucky applicants.
If your son or daughter is not one of the lucky recipients this year, be sure they apply next year if they are still in school. With good fortune and wise investments, the number of awards will continue to grow each year.
Dependents of full-time Union Officials and/or retirees or employees and/or retirees of the Union are not eligible for scholarship consideration.
The best of luck to you and your family!
PLEASE CONTACT YOUR LOCAL UNION DIRECTLY FOR AN APPLICATION!
NORTHERN CALIFORNIA CARPENTERS/
THOMAS A. MORTON MEMORIAL
SCHOLARSHIP FOUNDATION APPLICATION RULES
The 2020-2021 Scholarship Applications must be completed and returned directly to your Local Union, postmarked by Friday, June 26, 2020. No late applications will be considered.
To be eligible for scholarship consideration, a scholarship applicant must be a dependent child of a member in good standing with a Local Union affiliated with the Carpenters 46 Northern California Counties Conference Board. “Dependent” child is defined on the reverse side of these guidelines.
2. Applicants must be seniors in high school or currently enrolled in an accredited
educational institution, but be less than 23 years of age, and planning to attend school
during the 2020-2021 college year (July 1, 2020 through June 30, 2021).
3. Dependent children of full-time officers and/or retirees or employees and/or retirees of the following entities are not eligible for scholarship consideration:
A. United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America,
B. Carpenters 46 Northern California Counties Conference Board or any of its affiliated Local Unions, or the Northern California Carpenters Regional Council;
C. Carpenter Funds Administrative Office of Northern California, Inc.;
D. Carpenters Training Trust Fund for Northern California;
E. Western States Drywall/Lathing Industry Labor-Management Cooperation Committee, Inc.; and
F. 46 Northern California Counties Drywall/Lathing J A T C & T B.
4. Dependent children of deceased members who were in good standing with the Local Union at the time of their death are eligible for scholarship consideration.
5. In the event a scholarship recipient is unable to fulfill the requirements of the Foundation, the scholarship award must then be returned to the Foundation, and would become available to the alternate.
The term “Dependent” means:
A. Unmarried children of the member or qualified Domestic Partner, if they are:
(1) A natural child, adopted child or stepchild younger than 19 years of age provided the child lives with the member for more than one half of the calendar year. Adopted children will be considered a child of a member when they are placed for adoption. Placed for adoption means the assumption and retention by a member of the legal duty for total or partial support of a child to be adopted; or
(2) A child for whom the member has been appointed legal guardian, provided the child is younger than 19 years of age, lives with the member and is primarily dependent on the member for financial support; or
(3) 19 but less than 23 years of age and a full-time student at an accredited educational institution, provided they otherwise meet the eligibility requirements in paragraphs (1) or (2) above, other than age. Temporary absence from the member's place of abode due to education is not treated as absence for purposes of satisfying the residence requirement of paragraphs (1) and (2) of this Subsection; or
B. Special Rule for Children of Divorced Parents. If the parents of a child otherwise eligible in accordance with Subsection A. (1) are divorced, and the child does not live with the member for more than one-half of the calendar year, the child will be eligible if:
(1) the child's parents together provide over one-half of the child's support; and
(2) the child is in the custody of one or both parents for more than one-half of the calendar year.
McMorgan & Company
NC Contractors Association
Wall and Ceiling Alliance
Entrust Partners Offshore LP
Washington Capital Management, Inc.
Ullico Investment Company LLC
Fred Alger & Company, Incorporated
Jergeo Marketing LLC
Carpenters Local #405
Carpenters Local #46
Carpenters Local #217
Carpenters Union Local 586 Scholarship Fund
Construction Employers' Association
Lathers Local #9144
Carpenters Local #152
Carpenters Local #605
Carpenters Local #713
Carpenters Local #701
Lathers Local #9083
Michael and Debbie Bruce
Lathers Local #68L
The Morton Foundation
Foundry Partners LLC
UBC Local #2236
Carpenters Local #1109
Fenner & Smith, Inc.
Employers' Advocate, Inc.
Carpenters Local #751
KP Financial Svcs Ops
Lathers Local #9109
Millwrights Local #102
Pile Drivers Local #34
Western States Drywall/Lathing Industry
Northern California District Council of Laborers
Carpenters Local #180
Carpenters Local #1789
Operating Engineers Local #3
Carpenters Local #22
Carpenters Local #505
Carpenter Funds Admin. Office of No. CA
Basic Crafts Workers Comp
Weinberg, Roger & Rosenfeld
J.H. Lee Accountancy Corporation
UBC Local #1599
Vavrinek, Trine, Day & Co, LLP
California Alliance for Jobs
Wedge Capital Management, LLP
OE Federal Credit Union
Investment Performance Services, LLC
Post Advisory Group, LLC
R.E. Weber Insurance Agency
Pacific Northwest Regional Council of Carpenters
Webcor Construction LP
BCCI Construction Company
Boxer & Gerson, LLP
Carpenters Local #35
Tarlton and Son Inc.
Power Egineering Construction Co.
Carpenters Local #1599
Cement Masons' Local #400
Gerding Edlen Development Company
United Business Bank
UBC Local #505
Sheet Metal Workers' Local #104
Alten Construction Inc.
ASB Capital Management
New England Carpenters Labor Management Program
Intercontinental Real Estate Corp
Michael T. Brown
Luther Burbank Savings
Modular Installers Association
Millwright Employers Association
Principal Life Insurance Company
Ashen Company LTD, Inc.
TNT Industrial Contractors, Inc.
Fremont Bank/Jergeo Marketing LLC
Quest Investment Management, LLC
DW Nicholson Corporation
The Segal Company (Western States), Inc.
Bear Scaffold and Services
American Income Life Insurance Co.
JP Morgan Chase Bank, N.A.
The Arns Law Firm
Keystone Mountain Lakes Regional Council
BCBS Healthcare Plan of GA Inc
AFL-CIO ITC Financial, LLC
Net Endeavor, Inc.
Keenan, Hopkins, Suder and Stowell
San Francisco Fire Fighters Local 798
San Joaquin County Building & Const. Trades Cncl
Bentall Green Oak
TimesSquare Capital Management, LLC
RBC Capital Markets, LLC
Granite Construction Company
Nibbi Bros. Associates, Inc.
North Bay Building & Construction Trades Council
Paul and Betty Baldacci Family
Suburban Press, Inc.